7/27/2011

Random Tanget about being a "Good Person"

I read a great blog the other day about how we react in not-so-wonderful situations. Do we stop and think about the words that are about to come spewing out of our mouths, or do we just let them spew forth?  You can read it here: Raw Emotions

I started to think about my own temperament; I'm a reactor. Possibly a nuclear reactor. I answered all of the questions that Lysa posted and as much as I wanted to answer all of her questions in the "I'm a good Bible Study Christian Woman That Loves Everyone and is a Light Shining in this oh so Dark World" way, my honesty won't let me. Apparently I love to escalate issues, make trouble, be known as "harsh," have issues haunt me and I care more about my rights than making right choices. Or I might have been having a bad day when I read it. I'm going to go with the bad day theory because otherwise…well, I don't want to be that other person.

My husband says that sometimes the words come out so fast, no matter what you do, you can't shove them back in. How true!

There are about a hundred times a day when I have the choice to react or to sit quietly and "do the right thing." I'd like to think that I generally sit quietly, but when I reflect back on my actions for each day (yeah, I really do that) I see that there are many (many, many) times when I simply leave the High Road for others to worry about and choose the Low Road, you'd think I'd get tired of wiping the mud off of my feet constantly. I always think of the High Road as being a nice paved two lane highway, it's sometimes hard to get to, but it's a nice ride once you get up there. The Low Road, on the other hand is not paved, some spots might be gravel, but it's mostly mud. But, it's easy to get to because it's at our level, it's right there with no hill climbing or extra equipment needed, we just need to start walking. The bad part is that once you start walking on that low muddy road, the hill to the high road gets taller and steeper. It's never completely impossible to get to, but it does get much harder to reach as we travel forward.

I want to start taking the High Road. I have a pretty steep hill to climb to get there, am I'm more than positive that I'll slide back to the low, comfortable road that I'm used to, but life is not about the destination it's about the journey and the people that travel those roads with you. I don't want to drag anyone down to the Low Road, I'd much rather pull them up to the High Road with me.

What about you? In your heart of hearts. In your secret "real" place where you're totally honest  because there's no room for lies. Which road do you tend to travel? Do you slush along the Low Road because it's easy and comfortable, and it's always there when you need it? Or do you trudge up that hill to the High Road and try not to slide back down?.

No comments:

Post a Comment